Description: A good sized and complete Byzantine bronze cross, formed in two halves with suspension loop at the top and hinge at the bottom: One side engraved with the figure of Christ on the cross; reverse side with a saintly figure, arms raised.
(such reliquaries were used to carry relics of Saints, Martyrs splinters of ‘the true cross’ and other religious relics).
Date: C. 10th-12th century A.D.
Size: H: 52mm W: 25mm
Ref: The Glory of Byzantium: Art and Culture of the Middle Byzantine Era, A.D. 843-1261, pg 173, item 124C.